Far Striders

RPG Group
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share
 

 The First Hunt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Sunday October 3, 1880

You're awaken while it is still dark, but by the time you finish your breakfast it is light outside. Dan Percy greets you both and tells you, "Food and horses have been provided for. You can leave anything you want to in your rooms. No one will mess with it. Grab whatever you want to take. We'll be out for at least 4 or 5 days. We'll be out front finishing up the packing."

[ooc: Just let me know what you want to take with you.]
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 am

I gather up my wilderness gear, weapons and enough ammo to get me through a week and go gather with the others out front. I make a point to try and greet those I met last night and take a look around at what sort of equipment might be loaded on the mounts already.

[OOC - gonna post over in the OOC to save room here.]
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 10:42 pm

[ooc: I'll assume Strange Owl is not leaving anything so we can continue.]

Your small train of travelers basically consisting of 9 men mounted on horses starts heading out of town still early in the morning. It's chilly enough to make you want to wear a jacket. As you head out of the north side of town you read a sign that states this road will take you to Pietermaritzburg. You follow this road for only a short time before Mandla leads the group off the road and takes you in a north easterly direction. The terrain here at times kind of reminds of the Western US with it's rolling hills and brush covered terrain. You eventually have to cross over a river that you are told is the Mgeni river. Having a guide out seems to be really necessary. You meet very few people in your travels and those you do see tend to keep their distance.

As the day enters late afternoon the group halts and starts to set up camp. The two Boers head out a little ways and you hear some gun shots. Nobody else in the camps seems alarmed, but Dan seeing both of your concern just tells you they are getting some food for dinner. Sure enough, they return to camp with a rather large deer with long pointed horns. Your told it's an impala. The campfire meal is rather enjoyable. Everyone seems jovial, but always there is someone on watch. You both are also included as part of the evening watch, but the night passes without event.

[ooc: Impala ]

The next day you travel further away from civilization. On the third day you notice the tone is camped has taken a more serious note. Everyone is checking their weapons and making sure that all their gear is secured properly to their mounts. You both start to sense that maybe this isn't quite the type of "expedition" you assumed it would be.
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I will follow suit, checking weapons and gear.

[OOC - if there is enough visibility I'll pull out my sharps and just ride with it, otherwise I'll load up the winchester and have it ready.]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion


Posts : 48
Join date : 2009-08-10

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 4:44 pm

I will follow Adams lead and secure my weopons and ammo as well. I want to be ready to pull my axes at any point.

(ooc: sorry about missing the thread. Had started to wonder what was taking so long and now I know it was me :p!)
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 3:34 pm

[ooc: No prob. ]

Everyone mounts up and starts continuing the trip. Everyone is noticably more watchful and less talkative as you travel. The morning goes by quickly and when you break for lunch Dan walks over and speaks to you both, "I can tell you've notice the change in everyone's demeanor today. We're in dangerous territory now. We'll be at our destination come evening. You men doing alright?"
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 5:49 pm

Doing well. Any chance at a hint of what we're hunting?
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 10:28 am

"Hunting?" Dan responds. "Oh, I suppose it does seem like that. Perhaps, perhaps not. More for protection. We've heard some rumors about a village headman causing trouble. Since this is in one of our areas of interest we're really just going to see what's going on. Hopefully it's nothing, but better to be prepared for the worst eh?"
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 10:31 am

"Always expect the worst, then every surprise is a happy one."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Dan Percy chuckles. "We'll just have to see about that. I like it though. It does have a certain dire optimism to it."

By late afternoon, Mandla comes riding over a hill from up ahead. Pulls in besides Dan Percy and you both can make out the conversation.

"The village is just over the hill," says Mandla.

"How does it look Mandla?" asks Dan.

"Strange, Bwana. Smoke rises from fires, so people there, but no peoples tends the field. It not right for this time of season," says Mandla.

By now everyone has halted and formed a group around Dan and Mandla. Petrus, the older Boer chimes in with his thick accent, "I haven't noticed much game here in the last couple of hours either. It's a bad omen when nature avoids a place like this."

[ooc: You have both passed a Survival check. You both notice that there's been an unusual absence of wildlife (game and birds) for about the last 30-40 minutes.]
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 am

I watch for cues on what I should do. Not being the best survivalist, and not knowing the situation I just volunteer my an extra set of eyes and fair to decent distance shot if they need me.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am

"Vat ever we're going to do, we should do it quick. It's getting dark soon Dan." says Petrus. He looks a little nervous.

"Agreed old friend. Let's head into the village and have a look then," says Dan. He backs his horse out of the circle and heads to the village. The other follow suite and you both fall in at the rear of the column of horses.

As the riders approached the front gate of the village you are still surprised by the lack of activity outside the walls. Even though the both of you have only spent a little bit of time in Africa, from the previous villages you've seen you can tell this is not a normal occurrence. Although you can't follow the conversation, you hear Mandla and Dan talking to one of the gate guards what you assume must be Zulu. A runner heads into the village after the guard barks an order to him. Several minutes pass before the runner returns. The conversation continues and eventually you are all led into the village and led to a large hut. Dan explains, "I told him we were traveling and were looking for a safe place to rest for the evening. He told us that the King is sick and would not be able to receive us, but that we would be allowed to use one of their huts... at a cost of course. Also, we're confined to the hut for the evening."

"I'm sure it will be a hefty cost too," added Petrus.

It's a long hut, but it will still be a little cramped with all of you and your equipment in it. You all a take time to brush down and feed your horses and move your equipment into the hut. By the time you are done and villagers arrive with bowls of food. It's a modest meal but still everyone eats their fill. You notice several guards are stationed outside the hut. It would appear their purpose is more to keep you in, then to keep anyone out. By now the sun has set and it is dark except for the fires around the village.

"What now?" ask Gerald.

"I guess we wait," responds Dan. "Unless anyone has any better ideas?"
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:30 am

I check my gear and ask Dan what watch I should take.

[OOC - I'm assuming the natives speak no english or blackfoot, or I'd try to get some more info from them. How well armed are they? With our large party of armed, experienced men, I wouldn't think they would try anything while we were awake, but then I guess sealing us in and burning the hut down around us would be effective enough.]
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 pm

[ooc: Since you haven't tried talking to the guards you can't tell if they speak English or not. I can say with 100% certainty that they don't speak Blackfoot.]

"Let's wait a little bit and see what happens before we start worrying about guard shifts. It's still early in the evening," responds Dan to your question.

Petrus also responds with a grunt.

[Adam]
You glance out a gap in the thatch to peer at the guards in front of the door. Both are wearing cow-tail loin clothes. Both have 3 foot long shields of wood and cow hide. Each also carries a broad-bladed spear (you've heard Dan refer to it as an assegai one day) and also each one has a wooden stick with a large knot at the end (you've heard these referred to as a knobkierrie). The other men of the village that you saw were armed similarly, although a few carried rifles that you were guessing was probably a Brown Bess.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Only a few minutes pass before the sound of drums snaps everyone out of their thoughts. The sounds of singing also join in to the beat of the drums. The singing is in Zulu so you can't make out the meaning of the song. Mandla suddenly speaks, "Apparently there's reason for a celebration of some kind."

[Adam]
As you were looking at the guards through the hatch you seen a man with one of the old rifles approach the two men guarding the hut.

Ingwe moves up to the door with Adam and listens to the men talking outside. He turns to the group and says, "The chief is sending for us. Looks like we're about to attend the party."
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 2:39 pm

One of the guards opens the door to the hut and peers in and says something in Zulu.

Mandla states, "We're to meet his King, Lunga." As Mandla stands he grabs for his rifle, but puts it back after when the guard says something else in Zulu. Mandla says, "And no guns." He pauses thoughtfully for a second and then while he heads for the door he says, "Perhaps he's never seen a pistol before..." He heads out the door. The other men leave their rifles, but you notice that Dan, Petrus, and Gerald still wear their pistols holstered to their hips. You notice that Carson pats his front right pocket and smiles at you both as he walks out the door.

[ooc: Just the two of you are left in the hut with the others waiting outside. What do you want to take?]
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 4:15 pm

I make sure my peacemaker is loaded, holster it back on my belt and follow the other gentlemen, letting my coat fall to cover the pistol, lest I provoke too much curiosity having it where it can be looked at closely.

[OOC - I don't know if I ever put in that I would like a boot knife. Nothing bowie size, just a useful knife in a boot sheath.]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion


Posts : 48
Join date : 2009-08-10

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 9:22 am

I ask adam if I will look inconspicuous with 2 giant clubs coming off of my back? I will take my clubs and my knife at my side.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:26 pm

As Strange Owl exits the hut the guard eyes the clubs on his back, but says nothing. After everyone is assembled he leads you a short distance towards all the crowd and people singing and dancing. They part to make a pathway for your group to make it before the King. After a quick motion with his arm, the King halts all singing and dancing. It becomes very quiet except for the shuffling associated with a large assembly of people.

As you watch, he motions for someone behind him to move forward. Moving from the back of the King's entourage you see a rather pale white man dressed in a suit move up beside the King. The King speaks in English, "Are these the men?"

The man answers, "Judging by the looks of them King Lunga, I would have to say 'Yes'". You notice that the man speaks with an accent, but you just can't seem to place it.

You see Dan look around nervously at the crowd. The other members of your crowd look nervous as well.

The man says something to King Lunga, but you can't hear it because he says it too softly. The King gives a hearty laugh and then looks at your group with a serious expression. In an almost matter of fact tone of voice he orders, "Kill them."
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:28 pm

I pull out my peacemaker and prepare to shoot the first person that trys to attack me or one of my companions.
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion


Posts : 48
Join date : 2009-08-10

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 11:30 pm

I pull my clubs and wait for the first one. I put my back against Adams assumng we are surrounded.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 12:32 pm

As Zulu with spears, clubs and shields start to rush in on your group, Dan calmly raises both of his arms and in a commanding voice yells, "Wait!"

The mob is momentarily stunned by his audacity and look to their king for guidance. King Lunga looks your group and smiles, "Yes?"

Dan steps forward and says, "We're here to help you might King Lunga. This man," he says while pointing at the mysterious white man by the King's side, "has poisoned your mind and the mind of your people. We can help you."

The stranger laughs. It's a hearty evil laugh. "Oh you are too keen sir." He steps up closer to the King's side and says, "This man suggests that you are too weak to fend for yourself. He thinks that the mind of the mighty King Lunga is easily manipulated by a feeble white man such as me."

The King looks at Dan angrily and barks, "Is this so?"

"Not so mighty King," responds Dan. "I merely suggest that this man has used Dark Magic and cast a spell on you and your people."

The man scoffs at Dan's remark, "Oh please. Don't listen to this rubbish."

Dan interrupts, "See, he even tries to speak with you as a equal."

King Lunga glares at the stranger and asks, "And what does you say to that Mister Beauvais?"

Beauvais sneers at the King, and responds, "What do I say? What do I say? Oh I say this charade is at an end." Beauvais backhands King Lunga with his fist and sends him flying 15 feet backwards into a couple of his bodyguards. "Men! Seize them now!"

As your group backs together into a defensive posture. The others of your group drawing their weapons, screams and shouts start coming from the backs of the crowds of Zulus surrounding you. Suddenly the howls of several wolves pierce the night and the crowds of Zulu's flee in panic. One of the guards throws a spear at Beauvais but he shrugs aside the spear with a scratch on his arm. He suddenly starts transforming into a huge man-wolf.

Dan yells, "Werewolves. We must get back to the rifles. Let's make our way back to the hut with the rifles!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are 3 werewolves besides Beauvais. They are currently fighting their way through panic Zulu's except for Beauvais who is finishing off the King's bodyguards. He is to your front. 2 Werewolves are to your left and 1 is to your right. The path back to the hut with your rifles is behind you.

[OOC: Here's the initiative order...]
1) Beauvais
2) Mandla, Ingwe, Petrus, Dan
3) Zulu's
4) Strange Owl
5) Adam
6) Werewolves 1,2 and 3
7) Carson, Gerald, Paki


Beauvais - lets out a roar and bats away a Zulu bodyguard's spear and rips open his chest with a powerful claw.
Mandla - yells, "This way!" and starts running for the hut.
Mingwe - follows Mandla.
Petrus - aims his pistol and hits werewolf #1 in the shoulder and follows the Mandla and Ingwe, but in a brisk walk. "I'll try to slow 'em down," he says.
Dan - shoots his pistol at one of the werewolves but misses. He briskly catches up to Petrus.
Zulu's - mostly are focused on the werewolves or running away in panic. One does try to attack Paki and misses. Another tries to attack Strange Owl but he parries the attack.

[OOC: Strange Owl is up]
Back to top Go down
Onegod007
Minion
Minion


Posts : 48
Join date : 2009-08-10

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 1:30 pm

I will attack whomever attacks me first. Take shots with my clubs.
Back to top Go down
InspectorRod
"Friday"
The First Hunt Default2
InspectorRod

Posts : 125
Join date : 2009-08-05
Age : 48
Location : Arkham Asylum

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyThu Nov 05, 2009 3:40 pm

[OOC: One of the Zulus just attacked you and you parried his attack. Do you want to attack him?]
Back to top Go down
griffonknight
Nameless Sidekick
Nameless Sidekick
griffonknight

Posts : 92
Join date : 2009-08-07

The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt EmptyMon Nov 09, 2009 5:11 pm

I follow the others back to the rifles. I try to avoid shooting anyone unless they attack me.

[OOC - how popular was werewolf mythology in the late 1800s? Would my character realize he might need a special kind of weapon to kill these things?]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




The First Hunt Empty
PostSubject: Re: The First Hunt   The First Hunt Empty

Back to top Go down
 
The First Hunt
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» The Unecpexted Mouse Hunt (casual chelvaric and sara)
» The Hunt Begins (Closed/Ranmaru/Kaia)
» I'm never changing who I am
» Sometimes outnumbered, never outgunned [priv Jet/Hunt]
» A Homework assessment/Hunt/closed

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Far Striders :: Victorian Adventures :: Tales of Adventure-
Jump to: